Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The smell of snow and flannel shirts.

Its snowing like crazy here in Arkansas. All I can think about is how bad I wish I had a kitchen full of things to bake. But I don't. Also I can smell the homemade bread my dorm Mom is making from all the way upstairs and its killing me. So these recipes might be making things worse..but I will tell you about them anyway=)


Sayy whhhat! Whole wheat sugar cookies! Oh goodness..

Whole Wheat Chocolate Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies
Makes:  about three dozen cookies
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.  Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fit with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugars.  Beat until well incorporated.  Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.  Add the egg.  Beat on medium speed until mixture is glossy and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Stop mixer and add the dry ingredients all at once.  Mix on low speed until all of the flour is incorporated  Stop mixer and finish incorporating ingredients with a spatula.  Spoon batter out onto a sheet of waxed paper, and form loosely into a log.  Roll and seal cookie dough and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.


I really want to try these. I make pancakes for the girls that live on my hall ( I am an RA) on Saturday mornings. I am wondering if they will go for these. Humm maybe I will just make them and see if they notice.


Chai Spiced Buttermilk Pancakes
2 eggs
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
healthy pinch of ground cloves
scant 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns (or a dash of freshly ground black pepper)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup brewed black chai tea
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
½ teaspoons vanilla extract
oil or cooking spray (for cooking)

Thanks to  Joy the Baker  for teasing me with these recipes.


Love! From my snowy cabin aka my warm dorm room.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment